Sunday, June 10, 2007

Hey! So here just a few pictures so far. I have not really gone picture crazy yet, because the locals are so used to the Mazoongos taking photos of them and then leaving, that I want to first show my respect for a couple of months before I take some snaps. But rest assured, there are photo ops GALORE here. Every other minute that I look up from my bike, I see these amazing images- and it might even be better that I am not picture happy right now. Because it is so great to take that moment in, while it is live and right in front of me. My eyes are not adjusted yet to the culture. The daily events and environment is still foreign. This makes for very tiring days because of so much new information, sights, sounds, etc, but also totally thrilling. Goats and huge longhorn cows substitute for dogs here. They walk the streets like strays. The difference is, even the most intimaidating of bulls, with a 6 foot hornspan will move out of the way at the sound of a bike bell. Anyhow, I started my first week at work. It is great/frustrating adjusting not only to the culture in general, but in the office as well. More to come on that in a different email. Anyhow life is good here. I have made some Acholi (people from this region) friends- maybe a little too fast, as I will get announcements at home and at work that my "friend" has come to visit and is waiting out in front. Whoa! Anyways, the bike is still running well. I had a flat though, and got a patch put on- the price, including service was 50 cents. Which was half as expensive as my haircut....The pictures I have posted: A typical African sunset- the sky is our version of TV...A couple pictures of the school we were promoting on our Roadtrip- Sir Samuel Baker Secondary- making me even more motivated to continue raising funds for them- they are in dire need as is obvious by the wood occupied room, and the food that is served as the only meal for these kids twice a day (mind you they are living in a boarding school)....and finally a pic of some of the thousands of kids that love to run behind the Mazoongos, whether in car, by bike or on foot. Hilarious.

3 comments:

Ajarn Steve said...

Jamie,

Great stuff! Could you write a bit about the school: number of students per class, what the curriculum looks like, do the kids have books, pencils, do the teachers go to school, etc.

Have a great time!

Steve in Chiang Mai

Unknown said...

Great to know you're making lots of friends. I was kind of worried about you. I know it takes a long time for you to come out of your shell. Keep up all the great work Jamie!!!

Ryan

Richard 'Axle' Pirkl said...

Wow, Jamie!
This is truly an amazing story. I had no idea you had plans to take this on. I'm really stoked for you. Can you take a picture of your bike? Your writing is impeccable, descriptive and leaves my mind doing circles painting pictures in my head. Thank you! -Axle.